Wednesday 5 September 2012

Blogging vs Discussion Boards ... what an exciting topic

So, I am now finally doing my long delayed Masters degree at an unspecified university somewhere in Kansas.  One of the requirements for this course is to write a Blog.  Now I am thinking that I normally associate blogs with angry left-leaning political commentators.  I had no idea what the hell a blog was until I started to actually read up on it in our course text books.

The Prof, KH, not his real name, asked us two questions:  is blogging the same as a discussion board and is there any value in it as a tool or exercise for the adult learner.  Well this is difficult to answer as now I have read the theoretical benefits listed in the Kathleen King and Thomas Cox book The Professor's Guide to Taming Technology, but as yet do not have any practical experience using it in the classroom or even writing a blog myself (yes, this is my first blog, oh brave new world).  With this in mind, let us first define a blog.  It is "a series of time-stamped entries posted by the blog's creator, each of which is followed by comments contributed by readers" (Davis, p. 183).  Some suggested educational uses include providing unvarnished points of view and invites for conversations, forum for peer review of work done, and answers for course content (Davis, p. 183).

From my vantage point this provides some useful tools for an educator and student.  As a Blog is on the web and accessible to the public, it is not confined to the closed loop of a university or organization's LMS (Learning Management System).  This means anyone from around the world can discuss with the blogger the merits of her/his post; a very powerful concept to exchange a full range of ideas (King & Cox, p. 97).  One of my own questions was how does a blog then differ from an online chatroom?  From viewing various blogs and posts, it would appear to be a more formal setting than any online chatroom, more likely that certain academic standards will be upheld.  This in essence addresses the problem Socrates had with the written word, you can't have a debate with a book.  A blog means the writer can now have exchanges with anyone world wide.

One of the more interesting concepts that grabbed my attention was the idea of a blog as means to capture learning in progress.  A Blog can function as "repositories of student work; or as journals for chronicling a doctoral student's journey from beginning states to dissertation" (King & Cox, p. 98).  A Blog can function as any student's journal for chronicling learning, not just a Post-grad student.  This is a very powerful concept that can illustrate the pathways of learning and allow educators the chance to witness the learning that is occurring first hand.

Now what might be some of the disadvantages?  Well for one a Blog could be personality based, meaning someone who is shy or does not wish to post to the world will be uncomfortable doing so.  From my own experience working with Aviation Technicians, some of whom were very uncomfortable with technology, a Blog may not be the best choice.  It was hard enough to get the Technicians posting on a closed discussion panel, I can't imagine them being very welcoming of the idea of posting on the world wide web.  Another draw back is the very strict standards that must be upheld in an industry like aviation repair.  As a Blog is public and most anyone can post relies, certain errors or deviations from the accepted Standard might be introduced that can lead to later errors.  This is what killed the concept of using Wikis in aviation technician training.

Another suggested benefits of the Blog is it can capture the "a-ha" moment (King & Cox, 94).  This is debatable as "a-ha" or eureka moments are considered by some to be myth (presentation made panel discussion at CSTD conference in Toronto, November 2011).  More importantly and relevant is Blogs are not continuous but a series of snap-shots that might miss the so called eureka or "a-ha" moment.

A neutral point, neither good nor bad is the hybrid nature of a Blog.  It is part journal, partly formal, partly informal, and slightly compressed with quick updates but unlike Twitter not instantaneous updates.  As with any hybrid, it can do many things but it lacks the full benefits of a formal paper (less space for reflective points), is not instantaneous (like Twitter), exchanges can occur but still in a limited "to and fro" formats.  This is not to say it is a poor method of information exchange, only one where an Educator should be familiar with the benefits and drawbacks of the Blog and understand it before deciding to include it as a instructional method in any course design.

So here is to the Blog as a means to further the dialogue of Adult Education.  Not such a bad experience but it will still take some getting used to.  Oh well, as St. Augustine said "per molestias eruditio" (Cahill, 95).


Sources Cited

Davis, B.G.  (2009).  Tools for Teaching.  San Francisco:  Jossey-Bass.

King, K.P. & Cox, T.D., eds.  (2011).  The Professor's Guide to Taming Technology.  Charlotte, NC:  Information age Publishing, Inc.

Sources Consulted

Cahill, T.  (1995).  How the Irish Saved Civilization.  New York, NY:  Double Day.

While not directly cited, this provided the quote for St. Augustine and provided insight into the ideas of the Socratic means of learning and learning as understood in classical times.

9 comments:

  1. Angry Farmer,
    I like how you have demonstrated anonymity in your blog. For those concerned with privacy or personal identity, I think you gave a great example of how to manage a blog with discretion.

    You make a good point when you discuss the introduction of erroneous information that can be construed as truth or an industry standard. Certainly worthy of concern and one I had not considered. However, if the blog is within the confines of as assignment monitored by the instructor, would the instructor have the authority to reveal those inaccuracies? One of our other classmates referred to ownership as it relates to blogs, so the instructor ethically couldn't remove or edit a comment, but could influence, right? This could lead to a new discussion...how much influence/authority would an instructor have with blogging? The space belongs to the author. What if the content was inappropriate or disrespectful? Thankfully, I have not seen such behavior; however, one should not assume it wouldn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, Vianne, much to think about...
      1. I think you identified the paradox of the learner directed and "open" education. Nothing is free and I think the cost is the instructor/authority figure can't remove the comment but then can they not also comment? Also, other students in the class who are probably going to be doing the same material could also call the Blogger out on any error. Great point about comments, blogger and followers can debate!!!
      2. Again, for disrespectful information, I think it can then be up to classmates or instructor to comment to blogger, and others about problems or disrespectful things said by blogger.
      Of course, one hopes mature bloggers would not do such things.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting point you make, Vivian. I had not thought about the ownership aspect of the blog. Angry Farmer, you also made this point about the online classroom being more formal and structured. I think that is why I prefer the online discussion board. It is more academic than a blog, which is more geared for ones personal beliefs. Regarding, content management, particularly for grade school students, there are sites that restrict access to those in the class and content-filtering - http://www.classpress.com/?gclid=CMCz09vMprICFYdNTAodAT0ANg

    One note: Blogs can also be instantaneous to those who follow the blog. If you have followers they can receive your update to their email, phone, etc. as soon as you post it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points Sonora. I did not realize there was so much software that could monitor and filter content. I actually found out at work that in theory every keystroke I make can be monitored by powers that be... pretty big brother but then I found out other people had been caught visiting site they should not have been. We live in a confused time.

      Also, thanks for letting me know about the email following! I did not know that. You have taught me something new:)

      Delete
  3. Why so Angry Mr. Farmer? ;-)

    I agree that blogs can provide insight into material in ways that reading formal texts may not, creating "a-ha" or eureka moments. I have personally experienced this many times, though not previously in a formal education setting. Reading informational/instructional blogs about recipes or crafts has given me ideas or explained concepts that had been quite foggy. After reading our classmates posts throughout the week, I must admit that I have gained a broader perspective of the assigned reading materials. In that sense, I will say that the "myth" has been proven on a personal level.

    You are obviously an intelligent person thus probably not understood by the masses. I believe your blogging adventure will prove to be a positive means of expressing what others usually don't "get".

    Happy blogging from one newbie to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angry Farmer was originally going to be a fictitious character (I based the persona on my boss, a gentleman, literally, who does not like technology. I discussed it with HK and he did not think using a fictitious character would work with a graduate class, or rather I interpreted his advice as such. The character was meant as a metaphor for a transformation from not understanding or trusting technology to gradual acceptance and use. It was also cathartic in a way as it would also be a reflection of my own insecurities. The "angry" moniker was meant as an allusion to the reluctance by some universities to adapt to the changes technology has wrought.

      Wow Tonya, I think you just put blogging into perspective for me. From my understanding of what you wrote, in essence, correct me if I misunderstood, blogs by fellow classmates offer more perspectives on the material and the learning occurs from seeing the material from other perspectives. Hmm, what an interesting idea, journeying together and realizing the same problems are being experienced by your classmates. Lets you know you are not alone in the learning process.

      I wouldn't go too far, I have moments of occasional insight.

      Cheers to you. Seems like a successful experience blogging.

      AF

      Delete
  4. AF,
    Thanks for being a kindred skeptic of technology. I could relate to being "shy and does not wish to post to the world will be uncomfortable doing so". I think I am adjusting but it is a bit slow.
    I agree with you that the educational advantages are limited. The static nature of blogging and comments is difficult for me. I could see using this in a history, English or humanities class where you are asking the students to write and peer review others writing. But, I am struggling with the application in other settings.
    I look forward to learning with you in this blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyfully Dawn, I like your idea about the use of Blogging for Humanities courses. I think in another Blog I wrote that the idea addresses a short coming of the MOOCs. One of the criticisms was the MOOC format was less applicable to Arts and Humanities; a different learning design is required. Perhaps you have found part of the solution. For Humanities courses to be successful online, they have to rely on eBooks or traditional books as content media and work at their own pace. The lecture format dies but the debate between student/prof and student/student works in the Blog format and also reflects the higher thinking skills.
    I think you are on to something, mind you someone has probably already thought of this. Mind you, still good to get caught up. Fun learning with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogging is better if you consider yourself expert on that matter.
    See what we are expert in Edu Articles
    website: Edu Articles

    ReplyDelete